ONE WORLD NASHEED SHOW
ISHAQ AYUBI, WALEED BATA, RIDHWAAN CHOONARA, TAARIQ UWAIS MALINGA & QR OMAR BASHEIKH
ARE NASHEED SHOWS, NASHEED TOURS, NASHEED LAUNCHES, ETC PERMISSIBLE?
Allah Ta’ala states in the Qur’aan Majeed:
“They (the Mu’mineen) do not attend zoor. And when they pass by futility, they pass by with dignity.” (Surah Furqaan, Aayat 72)
Imaam Abu Bakr Jassaas, commenting on this aayat said: “It has been narrated from Imaam Abu Hanifah (rahmatullah alayh) that az-zoor is singing.” (Ahkaamul Qur’aan)
Hadhrat Ali (Radhiyallahu Anhu) narrated that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: “I have been sent (by Allah) to destroy musical instruments……The earning of a male singer and a female singer is haraam. The earning of zina is haraam. It is incumbent on Allah not to allow a body nourished by haraam, entry into Jahannum.” (Kaf-fur Ruaa’)
Hadhrat Abu Hurairah (Radhiyallahu Anhu) narrates that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: “Listening to music and singing are sinful. Sitting at such gatherings is fisq (immoral transgression). Deriving pleasure from it is kufr.”(Nailul Autaar)
Hadhrat Abdullah Ibn Mas’ood (Radhiyallahu Anhu) was invited to a Walimah (marriage feast). When he arrived at the house, he heard singing. He halted at the door. He was asked: ‘Why have you halted?’
He replied: “I heard Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) say: ‘He who increases the number of a crowd is of them. He who is pleased with an act of the people is a partner in its commission.”
(Al-Mataalibul Aaliyah as well as other kitaabs)
Hadhrat Ibn Mas’ood (Radhiyallahu Anhu) narrated that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: “Beware of listening to musical instruments and singing, for verily, both these acts germinate nifaaq (hypocrisy) in the heart just as water causes vegetables to grow.” (Kaf-fur Ru’aa’)
These Nasheed shows and Nasheed tours which are becoming rampant are not permissible due to the following reasons:
1) Professional Singers: It is Haraam to be a professional singer in Islam – kindly view the following texts:
A – Hanafi Math-hab: “The Mashaaikh have explicitly mentioned that to sing for enjoyment/pleasure or to earn some money is Haraam without a difference of opinion” (Fathul Qadeer and other kitaabs)
What are these shows for? Mere fun and entertainment!!! Even their income is Haraam. A true Muslim understands that all these Nasheed shows, tours, etc. are for entertainment.
“And the Shahaadat (testimony) will not be accepted of that singer with whom people associate and he gathers people (for his Nasheed shows, Nazm Jalsahs, and on his Naat tours).” (Mabsoot) – gathering people for singing (such as Nasheed Shows, Nazm Jalsahs, etc.) is very sinful and Haraam! This is mentioned in many kutub.
Explaining why the Shahaadat (testimony) of the one who sings for people/the public/ an audience will not be accepted, Sheikhul Islam, the great Muhaddith, Faqeeh-e-Mujtahid, Saahib-e-Hidaayah states: “…because he is gathering people for a major sin.”
“To sing for an audience even without musical instruments is a kabeerah (major) sin.”
(Fataawa Khairiyyah) – Singing for an audience is absolutely Haraam!
B – Shaafi’ Math-hab: Imaam Shaafi’ee Rahimahullah has clearly stated that the Shahaadat of a professional singer will not be valid. (Kitaabul Umm)
Allamah Ibn Hajar Haitami states regarding the person who becomes famous as a singer (like these Nasheed artists, Nazm singers , Album-launchers, etc.): “He is a Safeeh Mardoodush Shahaadah” (Kaffur-Ru’aa)
Safeeh means foolish, stupid. Mardoodush Shahaadah means such a person’s testimony will be rejected in an Islamic court.
Notwithstanding his leniency in the matter of singing, Imaam Ghazaali (rahmatullah alayh) states: “According to Imaam Shaafi (rahmatullah alayh) the testimony of a professional singer is rejected because singing is an abhorrent and Makrooh profession.” (Ihyaaul Uloom)
“And enumerated amongst the Muharramaat (Haraam acts) in At-Tanbeeh, is singing.” (Mughniyul Muhtaaj)
C – Maaliki Math-hab: Imaam Maalik Rahimahullah was asked about the singing gatherings of Madinah, he responded that these were the gatherings of the Fussaaq. (Al-Madkhal Li-Ibnil Haaj ; Al-Ilal)
“And singing and Lahw (futility/sport) – all of them – Teaching with a fee or without a fee is Haraam!” (Al-Kaafi)
“And (it is mentioned) in Mudawwanah: ‘The Shahaadat (testimony) of a male singer, female singer…, will be rejected when they are known/famous for it.” (Mawaahibul Jaleel)
D – Hambali Math-hab: “If someone is persistent in singing or he makes it a profession or he employs his slave or slave girl as a singer for audiences, his testimony will be rejected.” (Al-Ansaaf)
Imaam Ahmed bin Hambal states: “I asked my father about singing. He said: ‘Singing breeds Nifaaq (hypocrisy) in the heart just as how water grows crops and plants.”
Allaamah Ibn Jauzi Hambali states: “With regard to the singing which is in vogue nowadays, it is unlawful according to Imaam Ahmad….According to the Hambali Fuqaha, the testimony of a singer and a dancer is unacceptable.” (Talbees Iblees)
There are many more quotes from all four Math-habs which indicate that professional singing is Haraam. However, the above suffices for the genuine truth-seeker.
There is, however, difference of opinion on the question of singing without musical instruments in solitude. For example, consider the following quote:
“…From this text of Imaam Muhammad it is proven that to sing even alone (without musical instruments) is haraam.” (Bahrur Raaiq)
The text referred to above is a text in Ziyaadaat of Imaam Muhammed Rahimahullah.
Here is another text: “The apparent meaning is that singing is a major sin, even if it is not sung for an audience, but even for one’s self in order to banish loneliness and this is the view of Sheikhul Islam” (Bahrur Raaiq)
“And the mas’alah indicates that singing alone (without musical instruments) is sinful and likewise listening to it.” (Badaaius Sanaai) – This is the opinion of many Fuqaha despite the fact that some have given permissibility to sing alone in order to banish loneliness – not for entertaining others!
The difference of opinion amongst the Fuqaha regarding the permissibility to sing in solitude to banish loneliness provided the song does not consist of immoral statements, and it has not developed into a habit clearly makes one realise that it is Haraam to sing for an audience and that Music is undoubtedly Haraam. Qawwaali, Nazm Jalsahs, Nasheed tours, Qaseedah Shows are thus Haraam. Singing with music is likewise Haraam even in solitude!
In fact there is Ijmaa’ (consensus) of all four Math-habs on the following:
- Music is Haraam!
- Singing for entertainment is Haraam, whether alone or for an audience – with or without musical instruments.
- All songs which create negligence or contain any Haraam element or promote evil, shamelessness or any other impermissible act are Haraam even if they are sung in solitude with all the other accompanying factors necessary for the initial permissibility of singing in solitude.
- Music or singing as one’s profession. It is Haraam to be a musician or a singer. Making musical instruments or singing as an occupation is Haraam. It is Haraam to be a professional singer or a Nasheed artist.
The above was a detailed explanation of the prohibition of professional Nasheed artists and Nazm singers which was the first reason explaining why Nasheed tours and Nasheed shows are Haraam. All these Nasheed shows, tours, Jalsahs, Najam Sheraz, etc. propagate and advertise the names of the famous singers as ‘Nasheed Artists’.
There is actually no need to present more reasons why Nasheed shows, Nasheed tours, etc. are Haraam. However, a few more reasons will briefly be mentioned:
- Singing for an audience – we have elaborated in much detail above. Even the singing of a non-professional for an audience is not permissible as understood from the above texts.
- Honouring Fussaaq – Imaam Maalik Rahimahullah declared such type of gatherings as gatherings of the Fussaaq. The singers are openly indulging in sin as explained in much detail above. Thus, attending such a function and giving the stage to such singers is honouring an open sinner (a Faasiq). Nabi Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam said:
“When a Faasiq is praised, the Arsh of Allah shakes.”
- Listening to Haraam – when their singing is Haraam, then listening to it is likewise Haraam. Attending it and promoting it is also Haraam!
5. Women listening to Men Singing– this is Fitnah! The singing of a young beardless boy or a woman is likewise undoubtedly Haraam.
- The presence of women even if it is in a so-called ‘Purdah’ facility/section – Women are commanded to remain at home. The Qur’aan and Sunnah emphasizes that women should remain glued to their homes.
- Intermingling of the sexes – this is the gateway to ZINA.
- The Nazms/Naats/Nasheeds/ Qaseedahs are in emulation of the songs of the Fussaaq – the style and tune is sometimes like some English or Hindi song. They copy Bollywood tunes, weird rappers, and what not. Clearly, this is Tashabbuh Bil Kuffaar which is Haraam. There is much harm in emulating Fussaaq and Kuffaar.
- Background sounds and musical tunes – The background sounds, etc. makes it sound like music. That is why many people ‘enjoy’ these so-called Zikr CD’s because it is fun ‘Zikr’ – not real Zikr. Shaytaan has misled these people with musical tunes and background sounds. This is indeed Istikhfaaf (treating lightly) the Zikr of the pure name of Allah.
- The singers are at times clean-shaven, dress up un-Islamically, etc. – This is the case with many of them. It is a mockery of the Deen.
- Videos, Youtube, Video Clips, ITV, etc etc – The singers indulge in videos. The video clips are propagated by Fussaaq. The whole show, tour, etc. is videoed. At times, it is broadcasted on TV. The Haraam songs are propagated on Youtube, Facebook, etc.
- Photography – this is like almost a must these days with every Haraam function. All photos of animate objects– digital or not – are Haraam! Even these so-called ‘Nasheed artists’ indulge in Haraam pictography.
- Defiling the sanctity of the Masjid – at times the Haraam Jalsah or show is held at a ‘Masjid’ or on ‘Masjid’ premises. This is disrespectful and a dishonour to the House of Allah. The House of Allah is for Ibaadat – not entertainment!
- Propagating all the Haraam as ‘Islamic’ – this is a major crime in Islam. They even justify the Haraam shows. They know deep down their hearts that it is Haraam entertainment, but they use titles like ‘Nasheeds for Syria’, ‘Nazm Jalsah’, ‘Ishq-e-Nabi Tour’, ‘Naat Khawan’, etc etc. These programs are very far from Deen. In fact, these Haraam shows divert a person’s attention away from Deen. This is Shaitaaniyyat!
- Music or musical styles – at times Music accompanies the singing. Most of the times, the style of the show, ‘Jalsah’, etc. is identical to the musical shows of the Kuffaar!
- Clapping of hands or Dancing – Sometimes people dance with the tune, which is Haraam. The clapping of hands is likewise a Kaafir custom. Dancing is Haraam!
- Imitating the Fussaaq – The singers imitate Fussaaq. Moreover, the audience imitate the Fussaaq singers. After the show, they even mimic the Nasheed Artists and sing the songs of the Haraam show.
- Showing respect and more time for songs than the Qur’aan – these shows and tours divert a person’s mind away from the Qur’aan. People show so much respect and have much time for these Kaafir types of entertainment that many do not show the same respect for the Qur’aan. In fact, attending such a function is in itself disrespectful and open disobedience to the Qur’aan. The Aayat was quoted right at the beginning.
- Futility – these gatherings are futile. They are not beneficial. They are harmful. And Haraam is never permissible despite some of its benefits. The harms outweigh the benefits. One attains nothing from such a futile show or gathering but the Wrath of Allah Ta’ala.
- Waste of time and money – These programs are a waste of time and waste of money – Muslims are suffering around the world, but we have money and time to squander. Have we become so forgetful of the Aakhirah, Qiyaamah and the Qabr?
- Unsavoury and Haraam venues – Many a times the venue is improper or Haraam.
JIMMYS KILLER PRAWNS – COMMERCIAL MEATS AND BUTCHERIES
The ‘One World Nasheed Show’ to be held at Jimmy’s is Haraam. Besides prawns being Haraam according to many Ulama which should caution us to prefer and choose abstention, Jimmy’s and almost all these famous restaurants like Spur, Debonairs, Steers, KFC, Adega, Wimpy, Chicken Licken, Mcdonalds, Panarottis, Flambos, Mochachoes, ETC ETC deal in Haraam meat. Their steaks, mutton and chicken is 99% of the time Haraam!
Also, most Muslim butcheries are dealing in Haraam meat. They obtain their Haraam meats from Karan Beef, Rainbow Chickens, GWK Mutton, Earlybird, Country Range, Country Meats, Chubby Chick, Farmer Brown, Romeo, Sadia, Supreme, Outspan, Countyfair, Rocklands, Brazil chickens, etc etc. All imported and commercial mutton, chicken and beef is Haraam! May Allah make it easy for us to understand this undeniable reality and may Allah make it easy for us to abstain from Haraam functions and Haraam food. Ameen
IN CONCLUSION: ALL THESE NASHEED SHOWS, NASHEED TOURS, NAJAM SHERAZ, QAWWAALIS, MUSIC SHOWS, QASEEDAH, NAAT & NAZM JALSAHS ARE HARAAM!!!
Kindly click to download pamphlet: ONE WORLD NASHEED SHOW