THE SHAR’I CONCEPT OF SUNNAH
What the Qur’aan says of the Sunnah:
1) “(O Muhammad!) Say (to the people): ‘Obey Allah and the Rasool. If you turn away (from this obedience), then (know that) verily, Allah does not love the kaafireen.”
(Aal-e-Imraan, Aayat 32)
2) “And, obey Allah and the Rasool so that mercy be shown to you.”
(Aal-e-Imraan, Aayat 132)
3) “And, obey Allah and obey the Rasool and beware (of disobedience). If then you turn away (from this obedience) then know that on Our Rasool is only the delivery of the clear Message (the Divine Shariah).”
(Al-Maaidah, Aayat 92)
4) “O People of Imaan! Obey Allah and His Rasool, and do not turn away from him whilst you are certainly hearing (what he commands you). Do not be like those who say: ‘We have heard.”, whilst in reality they have not heard. Verily, the worst of animals by Allah are the deaf, the dumb and the blind – those who do not understand (the Haqq).”
(Al-Anfaal, Aayaat 20, 21, 22)
5) “O People of Imaan! Answer (the Call) of Allah and the Rasool when they call you towards that (Shariah) which will instil life in you. And know that Allah intersperses between a person and his heart, and verily unto Him will you all be ushered.”
(Al-Anfaal, Aayat 24)
6) “(O Muhammad!) Say (to the people): Obey Allah and obey the Rasool. If then you turn away (from this obedience), verily on him is only his duty, and upon you is your obligation (of obedience). And, if you obey him (the Rasool), you will be guided (along Siraatul Mustaqeem). And, on the Rasool is only the delivery of the Clear Message.”
7) “O People of Imaan! Obey Allah and obey the Rasool, and do not destroy your good deeds.”
(Muhammad, Aayat 33)
8) “(O Muhammad!) Say (to the people): If you (O Believers!) Love Allah, then follow me (i.e. Muhammad), then (only) will Allah love you an forgive for you your sins.”
(Aal-e-Imraan, Aayat 31)
9) “Whoever obeys the Rasool, verily, he has obeyed Allah.”
(Nisaa’, Aayat 80)
10) “Whoever obeys Allah and His Rasool, verily, he has achieved a great success.”
(Ahzaab, Aayat 71)
In a nutshell: Love and obedience to Allah Azza Wa Jal are inextricably interwoven with love for and obedience to Allah’s Rasool. The Qur’aan Majeed is replete with aayaat commanding obedience not only to Allah Ta’ala, but to Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) as well. Obedience to the Rasool is pivotal for the validity of Imaan. The Commands of the Shariah are not confined to the Qur’aan. The greater portion of Allah’s Shariah is in the Example, lifestyle, commands, exhortations and admonition of Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam). This Noble Example of the Rasool is what is known as the Sunnah.
It is this Sunnah which Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) equated with the Qur’aan. Thus he said: “Hear! Verily, I have been given the Qur’aan and its Likeness with it. Soon (will there come a time when) an obese man reclining on his couch will say: “Make incumbent on you this Qur’aan. Whatever you find therein of halaal, regard it to be halaal, and whatever you find therein to be haraam, regard it to be haraam.” (Rasulullah said:) ‘Verily, whatever Rasulullah has made haraam, it is as if Allah has made it haraam.” (Mishkaath) This is the concept and incumbency of the Sunnah which some people and the Ulama-e-Soo’ as a whole deemed proper to denigrate, and for what purpose? To promote haraam and evil and ensure that the dollars flow into the pockets of the unholy scholars.
- The Qur’aan Majeed explicitly brands as ‘kaafireen’ those who disobey Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam).See Aayat No.1 above.
- Those who ‘turn away’, minimize, belittle and abandon the Sunnah of Allah’s Beloved Rasool are deprived of Allah’s Refer to Aayat No.2, above.
- Those who neglect, abandon, displace, ignore and disregard the Sunnah are described by Allah as being the worst of animals. They are deaf, dumb and blind. See Aayat No.4, above. They are the ones who turn away from the Haqq. They lack Aql (intelligence) according to the Qur’aan.
- True spiritual life is instilled in the heart of the Mu’min only if he wholeheartedly submits to and follows the Sunnah of Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam). See Aayat No. 5, above.
- The guidance of Siraatul Mustaqeem (the Straight Path – The Divine Shariah) is reserved for only those who follow the Sunnah. See Aayat No.6, above.
- Destruction of good deeds follows in the wake of diversion from the Sunnah – neglect of the Sunnah. Those who view the Sunnah as being insignificant and merely something optional to accept or neglect at whim and fancy, ruin their Ibaadat and their A’maal-e-Saalihah (virtuous deeds). See Aayat No.7, above.
- The pivot on which revolves Divine Love is total obedience to the Sunnah. See Aayat No.8, above.
- Obedience to Allah is inconceivable and impossible without obedience to the Rasool. Imaan firstly demands obedience to the Rasool. See Aayat No.9. This tenor of the Aayat confirms the fundamental importance and significance of the Sunnah.
Whoever desires success in this world and in the Aakhirah has to incumbently adopt the Sunnah wholeheartedly. There is no success in either world for the Believer who expunges the Sunnah or who displaces it, or who neglects it, or who substitutes it with the practices of the kuffaar.