WHAT THE HADITH SAYS OF THE SUNNAH
AND WHAT DO YOU MEAN WHEN YOU SAY THAT SOMETHING IS ‘ONLY SUNNAH’. WHAT IS MEANT BY ‘ONLY SUNNAH’???
Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said:
1) “Everyone of my Ummah will enter Jannat except the one who rejects.” It was said: ‘Who is the one who rejects?’ Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: He who obeys me, will enter Jannat, and he who disobeys me, has rejected.”
2) “Whoever obeys Muhammad, verily he has obeyed Allah, and he who disobeys Muhammad, verily, he has disobeyed Allah.” (Bukhaari)
3)“Whoever turns away from my Sunnah, is not of me.”
(Bukhaari and Muslim)
4) “Let it not be that I find anyone of you sitting (proudly) on his couch while there comes to him one of my commands or one of my prohibitions, then he says: I don’t know (it). Whatever we find in Allah’s Kitaab, we follow it.”
(Ahmad, Abu Dawood, Tirmizi)
5) “Hark! I have been given the Qur’aan and an (amount of laws) similar to it. Soon will there be an obese (unduly fat) man who will be sitting on his couch (of luxury) who will say: ‘Make incumbent on you this Qur’aan. Whatever you find lawful in it, regard it to be lawful, and whatever you find in it unlawful, regard it to be unlawful.’ (Know that) Verily, whatever Rasulullah has made haraam is like that which Allah has made haraam.” (Abu Dawood, Daarmi, Ibn Maajah)
6) “Verily, whoever will live after me will see great disputes. Therefore, make incumbent on you my Sunnah and the Sunnah of the rightly guided Khulafa. Cling firmly to it and hold on to it with the jaws. Beware of innovation, for verily, every innovation is bid’ah, and every bid’ah is dhalaalah (deviation from the Straight Path).”
(Ahmad, Abu Dawood, Tirmizi)
7) “You have not fully believed as long as your desires are not in subjugation to that (Sunnah) which I have brought.”
8) “He who loves my Sunnah, verily he loves me, and he who loves me will be with me in Jannat.” (Tirmizi)
9) “Whoever, consumes (Halaal and) Tayyib (food), practises the Sunnah and saves people from his mischief, will enter Jannat.” (Tirmizi)
10) “I have left among you two things. As long as you hold on to these two things firmly, you will never go astray: The Kitaab of Allah and the Sunnah of His Rasool.” (Muwatta)
We have enumerated here an infinitesimal number of Ahaadith which emphasize the imperative importance and significance of the Sunnah of Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam).
- Rejection of the Sunnah blocks entry into Jannat. See Hadith No.1, above. Immediate entry into Jannat will be denied to those who deviate from the Sunnah. Such deviation is abandonment or neglect or displacement or distortion of the Sunnah, or according preferences to practices of the kuffaar which displace the institutions of the Sunnah.
- Disobedience to Nabi Sallallahu Alayhe Wasallam is disobedience unto Allah Ta’ala. See Hadith No.2 above.
- Disobeying the Sunnah equates to rejection of Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) dissociated himself from those who diverge from his Sunnah. Those who abandon his Sunnah are “not of me”, said our Nabi-e-Kareem (sallallahu alayhi wasallam). See Hadith No.3, above.
- This shattering rebuff which Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) delivers to those who belittle, neglect, displace or abandon his Sunnah is adequate athaab (punishment) to drive a Mu’min insane.
- Refer to Hadith No. 4 and Hadith No. 5, above for further understanding the imperative importance of the Sunnah. Indulgence in worldliness and material luxuries are their hallmark. Fulfilment of crass worldly desires necessitates abandonment and belittlement of the Sunnah.
- Observance of the Sunnah is incumbent. Resolute adherence of the Sunnah is Waajib. Diversion from the Sunnah, abandonment and neglect of the Sunnah, disdain for the Sunnah and minimizing the imperative importance of the Sunnah are bid’ah dhalaalah (innovation which misleads from Siraatul Mustaqeem). See Hadith No. 6, above.
- He who does not submit to the Sunnah, has not fully accepted Islam. Desires and motives have to be compulsorily subjected to the Sunnah.
- Abstention from the Sunnah on the fabricated false premises of the imagined insignificance/unimportance of Sunnah as conveyed by the ‘only sunnah’ concept of the Mudhilleen is tantamount to partial belief. Thus, in so doing there are two elements of kufr in the Mudhilleen’s concept as propounded by the Scholars for Dollars:
A-The element of ISTIKHFAAF.
B-The element of partial belief which the Qur’aan proclaims kufr’ “What, do you believe in portion of the Kitaab and commit kufr with a portion?”(Baqarah, Aayat 85)
- Displacing the Sunnah is in actual fact kufr with portion of the Kitaab. The Qur’aan encapsulates Imaan in two fundamentals: Obedience to Allah and Obedience to His Rasool. It is therefore kufr to minimize the importance and significance of the Sunnah and believe that Imaan is complete by assigning importance to only the one fundamental, viz., Obedience to Allah Ta’ala. This is a massive satanic deception because obedience to Allah Ta’ala is inconceivable without obedience to the Rasool (sallallahu alayhi wasallam).
- Further, it is imperative to understand that it is Allah Azza Wa Jal Who has commanded all aspects and elements of the Shariah of whatever Fiqhi (Juridical) classification they may be, whether Fardh, Waajib, Sunnatul Muakkadah, Sunnatul Ghair Muakkadah, Mustahab, Haraam, Makrooh, etc. All aspects are commands of Allah Azza Wa Jal, which have been imparted to the Ummah via the medium of Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam). Therefore, whoever minimizes the Sunnah is in actual fact minimizing Allah Azza Wa Jal – Nauthubillaah! Thus, partial belief/acceptance of Islam by way of relegating the Sunnah to oblivion or demoting it from its lofty pedestal is kufr. See Hadith No. 7, above.
- The evidence of Love for Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) is love for his Sunnah. Istikhfaaf with his Sunnah betrays lack of love for Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam). Hence Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) based his love on the love of his Sunnah. The one who views Sunnah lightly cannot have true love for Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam). Thus, when a molvi professes that a command of Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) is ‘only sunnah’ to justify the wholesale abandonment of the incumbent Sunnah of the Tasmiyah, and to condone the displacement of the Waajib Shar’i system of Thabah, and to wholeheartedly substitute it with the brutal kaafir system of torturing and killing animals, then he would be rendering himself an infinite favour by submitting his Imaan to self-scrutiny. See Hadith No. 8, above.
- Immediate or First entry into Jannat depends on the consumption of Halaal, Tayyib food and cultivation of the Sunnah. Minus the Sunnah, the first entry is Jahannum. See Hadith No. 9, above.
- It is imperative for the safety of Imaan and to be saved from dhalaal (deviation from Siraatul Mustaqeem) to adhere firmly to the Sunnah. When the Sunnah is discarded, neglected, abandoned or minimized with ‘only Sunnah’ attitudes, then according to Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) the consequence is dhalaal. See Hadith No. 10, above.