QIRAAT, QUR’AAN & HIFZ COMPETITIONS
The Glorious Qur`aan, every Muslim knows, is the Kalaam (Word) of Allah Ta’ala. There is nothing more sacred than the Sacred Kalaam of Allah Ta’ala. It is the Muslim’s highest and dearest object of reverence. Any act which detracts from the loftiness and sanctity of the Qur’aan Majeed is accursed and invites the Wrath of Allah Azza Wa Jal. The Qur’aan Majeed as everyone is aware, has been in this Ummah for over 14 centuries. The institutions of Qiraat and Hifz were initiated by Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) and continued down the centuries to the present day. The highest grade of Qurrah (Qur’aan reciters) and Huffaaz were produced in millions in the history of Islam. But never in the annals of Islam was the Qur’aan subjected to the nafsaani mockery and shaitaaniyat which the present day evil people parading as learned men and religious guides perpetrate purely for despicable worldly and emotional aims and objects. The incentive of money as prizes is a dastardly evil.
The glory, grandeur and loftiness of Allah’s Word are miserably put up for sale in despicable displays accompanied by a host of evil activities. Allah Ta`ala states:
“Do not trade My Aayaat for a miserable price.” (Surah Baqarah: 41)
It is mentioned in the Hadith: “Verily, Allah elevates some people with this Kitaab (Qur’aan), and He disgraces others with it.”) Muslim – Ahmed – Daarimi – Ibn Maajah- Baihaqi)
“If the Qaari recites Qur’aan for the sake of money, there will be no reward for him.” (Shaami – 6: 57) On the contrary, there is athaab (punishment) for trading the Qur’aan for the miserable price of monetary gain and nafsaani aggrandizement.
Some of the evils which are associated with the Qiraat and Qur`aan competitions are:
- The Qur’aan is recited as an act of public entertainment.
- Beardless Qaaris will darken the gathering with their unholy presence.
- The judges in the competition at times will be clean-shaven – fussaaq of the first order.
- Then you might also find the presence of the evil shaitaani so-called ‘Islamic’ radios.
- Picture-making and videoing and maybe even ‘live’ on ITV (Iblees TV) or TV-Shaitaan.
- Intermingling of sexes usually take place even if there’s “separate facilities”.
- The Qur`aan will be subjected to mockery and this is what a competition constitutes.
- Riya (ostentation) and Takabbur (pride).
- Then such competitions might even be held in the holy month of Ramadhaan.
- And there might be even female participation whereas a woman`s voice is purdah.
- The Qur`aan-e-Kareem is recited for the sake of monetary prizes or a few miserable rands.
- The element of Tashabbuh Bil Kuffaar is conspicuous.
- Evils as mentioned above are vindicated and promoted in the name of the Holy Qur`aan.
A question we may ask ourselves to evaluate these contests: Do these competitions have any resemblance with the Un-Islamic Hollywood and Bollywood and the other Kuffaar awards (such as MGT-Muslims Got Talent) or not? How does today’s nafsaani competitions by faasiq Qaaris compare with what the Sahaabah did? And did the Sahaabah stage public group events of this nature?
Therefore, Qur`aan competitions are not permissible. It is making a mockery of Allah’s Kalaam. The photography, riya, etc. are added factors of prohibition which aggravate the mockery. The Qur`aan is not for such purposes. The Qur`aan is not for winning worldly and nafsaani prizes and to see who can read better and nicer. The Qur`aan has to create khushu’ and strengthen the bond with the Aakhirat, not the dunya. But in these satanic competitions, the Qur’aan is made an object of public entertainment.
THE JUBBUL HUZN WARNING OF NABI SALLALLAHU ALAYHI WASALLAM
Q: Do the Huffaaz and Qaaris who participated in the Midrand Qur’aan Memorization Competition come within the scope of the following Hadith?
Once Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said to the Sahaabah:”Seek protection with Allah from Jubbul Huzn (The Pit of Grief).”
The Sahaabah said: “O Rasulullah! What is Jubbul Huzn?”
Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: “It is a valley in Jahannum. Every day Jahannum itself petitions Allah Ta’ala four hundred times to save it (from Jubbul Huzn’s heat).”
Someone asked: “O Rasulullah! Who will enter it?”
Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: “The Qurraa’ (plural of Qaari) of Riya (show/ostentation), who display their deeds. Verily, the worst of the Qurraa’ by Allah are those who visit the wealthy.” (Ibn Maajah).
A: Yes, these Qaaris come within the scope of the Hadith which you have mentioned above.
In this Hadith a dire warning is sounded to the Qaaris of our era. Qaaris who participate in qiraa’t competitions, who recite for the public to gain money and acclaim are the serfs of the wealthy. Their sights are set on the wealth of people. They recite the Qur’aan Majeed for monetary gain. Most of them are distinguished fussaaq with clean shaven faces or sporting telescopic ‘beards’. They are destined for Jubbul Huzn. It is haraam to attend their qiraa’t sessions, and it is not permissible to organize such qiraa’t competitions and sessions.
May Allah Ta’ala save us all from Jubbul Huzn. Ameen
THE TURKISH MASJID TRAGEDY
One of the worst tragedies had taken place last weekend in South Africa. It is much worse than earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, tsunamis, etc. The damage, which this tragedy has caused, is almost irreparable. Thousands of Muslims have in fact publicized that they have thrown away their Islam because of this tragedy. It is the tragedy of the Turkish Masjid – the kaafir Gulen’s ‘musjid’.
The Turkish Masjid has become a venue for the publication and dissemination of much Haraam. It has been established to undermine Islam. A Masjid is the House of Allah, but it has been treated last weekend and in the past also as a Kaafir style hall! This is how the Gulen’s temple-masjid is being utilized. Practically speaking, the Gulen’s masjid is not for Islam and true Muslims. Gulen’s masjid is for Fussaaq and for Zombies. It is not for people of the truth. It is just like a ‘church’ which has minaarets. Nothing else.
It is sad to observe that Muslims are silent with regards to the Haraam Hifz competition which took place last week at the Nizamiye Complex in Midrand. We will now highlight all the Haraam acts which took place at the Qiraat competition over and above all the other Haraam acts mentioned on page 1 of this article.
- A Haraam expo took place at the Nizamiye complex where food, fashion and fun was advertised.
- A Faasiq group called ‘Ask Nanima’ publicized it. The Ask Nanima gangsters are fussaaq who aggravate the mockery of the Qur’aan. Stay far away from them as Nabi Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam said: “When a faasiq is honoured, the Arsh of Allah shudders.” It is Waajib to boycott their functions, programs and their home industry expos. Never ever support them and never ever visit their website. In fact, you should criticize them and condemn their evil. Amr Bil Ma’roof Nahy Anil Munkar is the obligation of all They promote a lot of Haraam acts and Haraam products.
- Ladies Facilities for the competition and expo are Haraam! Women are commanded in the Qur’aan to remain at home. They are only allowed to leave their homes for necessities. Attending expos, Hifz competitions, etc – not only are they not necessities, they are haraam activities, sacrilegious of the Qur’aan.
- PHOTOGRAPHY – the person who will receive the worst punishment on the Day of Qiyaamah is the one who indulge in picture-making of people and animals. There are numerous Ahaadith severely condemning this act, and there is complete unanimity of the Fuqaha of all Math-habs on its prohibition.
- The Master of the ceremony was Faasiq, Mudhil, viz. Mr. Menk.
- The Masjid was like a cinema with a big TV screen.
- There were photographers right in the Masjid.
- The Huffaaz that participated were Fussaaq – the type destined for Jubbul Huzn.
- The Qaaris who participated were Fussaaq. They are Basheer Patel, Ayoob Essack and Rashid Dhabelia. A person who takes photos is a Faasiq. One who participates in evil functions and competitions is a faasiq. Nabi Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam said: “When a faasiq is honoured, the Arsh of Allah shudders.”
- It was like a kaafir-style awards evening or Miss Shaitaanah event held in the House of Allah. The ‘Musjid’ was disrespected and dishonoured. Its sanctity was brutally defiled.
- The following five Shayaateen ‘graced’ the function as well: VOC – voice of the clowns, CII – Channel Shaytaan, Radio ‘Islam’ (more appropriately, Radio Shaitaan) – The Radio of the Joburg NNB Jamiat (No Name Brand Jamiat), Radio Al-Ansaar (i.e. Radio Ansaarush Shaitaan), The Nasaara Radio Station and ITV (i.e. Iblis television) – the favourite channel of deviates and ulama-e-soo’.
- Faasiqs such as Anver Surty delivered an address in the Musjid!
A BASELESS ARGUMENT
An Ahmaq ‘Ifta’ student from one of the Darul Iftas has attempted to defend the haraam Qur’aan competitions by arguing that “hosting a Qiraat Competition and giving prizes to the best readers would be permissible. It will not be considered to be copying the Kufaar as a precedent if it is found in the competitions that the Sahabah Radiyallahu Anhum engaged in. However, it should be added that in the manner in which the competition is hosted and the prizes that are given, any emulation of the Kuffaar must strictly be avoided.”
- We have presented many reasons above why a Qiraat/Hifz competition is not permissible. Qiraat competitions never existed in the history of Islam. There are many evils and Haraam acts associated to Qiraat competitions.
- As far as prizes are concerned, Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: “He who recites the Qur’aan, using it for the acquisition of (worldly gain) from people, will be resurrected on the Day of Qiyaamah with his face as bones bereft of flesh.” (Kanzul Ummaal – Faydhul Qadeer – Mishkaat) The recent Hifz competition held at the Midrand Masjid comes within the scope of this Hadeeth.
- Then the Ifta student speaks rubbish by saying that it wont be Tashabbuh Bil Kuffaar since a precedent is found in the competitions of the Sahaabah. Firstly, did the Sahaabah have Qiraat competitions? Secondly, Did the Sahaabah stage a public event for their competitions? Thirdly, why is Qiraat competitions only a recent event when the Qur’aan is in this Ummah for more than 14 centuries? Fourthly, The Qur’aan is not meant for Nafsaaniyyat and public shows. The Sahaabah did not compete in good deeds for the sake of worldly prizes and worldly name and fame. Fifthly, what are the precedents and what resemblance does present-day competitions have with the perceived so-called ‘precedents’? There is simply no precedence for the Bid’ah Qiraat and Hifz competitions of Nafsaaniyyat and Shaitaaniyyat! The Ahmaq has sucked from his thumb falsehood with which he blemishes the Sahaabah.
- The Ifta student states that any emulation of the Kuffaar must be strictly avoided. But, these public qiraa’t shows and Qiraat and Hifz competitions are in emulation of the Kuffaar. The organizers of these ‘competitions’ behave like kuffaar. They take photos. Prizes are announced. Women also attend and it is even broadcasted by the Ulama e Soo. Not a single one among the Ulama e Haqq approves these Qiraat and Hifz competitions. Any Sheikh or Molvi who says that the Midrand Hifz competition is permissible, can never be an Aalim of the Haq! Every facet of the accursed competition was in emulation of the kuffaar.
May Allah Ta’ala guide and protect us and the community from the evil and deviation of the mudhilleen parading as ‘ulama’.
KINDLY CLICK TO DOWNLOAD PAMPHLET: QIRAAT, QUR’AAN & HIFZ COMPETITIONS