THE SUNNAH WALEEMAH
“The food of that Walimah is evil where the wealthy are invited and the poor are ignored (not invited)” (hadith)
The attainment of a new Ni’mat is a means of Shukr and happiness. Moreover, this encourages and inspires a person to spend some of his wealth. By following such a desire, the habit of generosity develops and the evil habit of miserliness departs. Besides these benefits, there are many more benefits of the Waleemah which is according to the Sunnah.
Having a Waleemah is in fact showing good ways to one’s wife and her family because the spending of one’s wealth and gathering others for a meal is in fact a proof that the husband has honour and respect for his wife. However, whilst the Walimah is Sunnah, 99,995% of the customary Walimahs which take place amongst ‘Muslims’ nowadays are Haraam. The Sunnah Walimah will be Sunnah when it contains two vital elements. Non-fulfilment of these two crucial and vital necessities, renders the Walimah a customary function which would be un-Islamic and not permissible.
There are two vital requisites for any Waleemah:
- It MUST be in conformity to the Sunnah. If the Walimah is not carried out according to the Sunnah, it obviously won’t be a Sunnah function anymore. A function in which the Sunnah is violated, cannever be Sunnah! Islam is the Sunnah. Without the Sunnah, Muslims are at a loss. Kaafir methods and ways are shorn of Barkat. Abandoning the Sunnah is a sign of one being unsuccessful.
- No Haraam act must take place at the Walimah. A Walimah which contains Haraam acts cannever be Sunnah. Haraam acts bring about the wrath of Allah. Indulgence in Haraam invites the punishment of Allah Ta’ala.
THE MASNOON (SUNNAH) WALEEMAH
Every culture, nation, sect has its own way of conducting a marriage. Islam too has its own way. The way of Islam is the simplest, easiest, quickest and the cheapest. And this way is the way of the Sunnah which 99% of Muslims have abandoned. Any method contrary to the Sunnah is an accursed Haraam method. For Barakah and eternal success, it is necessary for Muslims to abandon all westernized gatherings and return to the Sunnah. The following is necessary for a Waleemah to be Sunnah:
- There are poor people also present at the Walimah. A few should necessarily be invited.
- The Walimah must be according to one’s means.
- A Riba-Loan should not be taken. All Bank loans are Haraam Riba-loans.
- There must be no showing-off, flashiness, gaudiness, flamboyance and ostentation.
- No formalities and no ceremonies, no haraam wedding decorations, etc.
- It must be purely for the pleasure of Allah Ta’ala.
- No mixing of men and women.
The Walimah Sunnat has to be discharged by the husband. The man is responsible for the Walimah. The feast which is nowadays organized by the girl’s people on the day of the Nikah is not the Walimah. This customary feast, i.e. given by the girl’s family, is not an Islamic practice. There is no Islamic significance in this feast. The other feasts are feasts of pride and waste. In fact, these feasts / receptions are accompanied by several haraam acts.
The simpler the Waleemah, the better. The only meal associated to a marriage is the Waleemah hosted by the groom – not his parents. There is no meal hosted by the girl’s side. There is no wedding in Islam, least of all the Haraam weddings and functions that take place amongst the lost Muslims of this belated era!
THE WALEEMAH OF NABI SALLALLAHU ALAYHI WASALLAM
- A goat was slaughtered for the Walimah of Hazrat Zainab Binte Jahsh Radhiyallahu Anha.
- The Walimah of Hazrat Safiyyah Radhiyallahu Anha was such that whatever food the Sahaabah had by them, it was gathered and from there the people ate.
- Neither a camel, nor a goat was slaughtered at Hazrat Ayesha Radhiyallahu Anha’s Waleemah. A container of milk came from the home of Hazrat Sa’d Bin Ubaadah Radhiyallahu Anhu and this was then served for the Walimah.
The above examples clearly show how simple the Waleemah was. The Walimah which Hazrat Ali Radhiyallahu Anhu organized at his home was extremely simple. Some cornbread and sweetmeats were served to a handful of people. Are the Waleemahs held in our Muslim community so simple that they qualify to be counted as being a Sunnah Waleemah?
HALAAL MONEY FOR THE WALEEMAH
A person should ensure that the food served is 100% Halaal. It shouldn’t be commercial chicken, mutton or beef which is Haraam. It shouldn’t have Haraam soft-drinks, like Coke, Twizza, Pepsi, Refresh, Coo-ee, Dixi Cola, flavoured mineral waters and all other so-called soft drinks which are all Haraam according to the Shariah. Instead of such Haraam, it is better to serve plain water, simple dishes and fresh fruit juice.
Haraam food creates Zulmat (darkness) in the heart. Those who follow the Shariah don’t eat doubtful food and feeding them doubtful food retards them spiritually. The food served should be such that there is absolutely no doubt in it because the Waleemah Dawat is not Waajib. It is Mustahab, whereas feeding Haraam food is Haraam! If a person is unable to feed others Halaal, then he should not invite others for meals. It is not necessary to feed people Biryani, or some other expensive dish.
HARAAM SO-CALLED WALEEMAHS
- It is Haraam for women to attend Walimahs. The Fatwa is so severe that if the husband allows his wife to attend a Waleemah, then both the husband and wife are sinful! Some Salafis, pseudo-Salafis and molvis of loose morals have attempted to override this ruling of the Shariah with the ‘Hadeeth’, but they have failed to understand that women attended even the Masaajid in the time of Nabi Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam. When it is Haraam for women to attend the Masaajid, then to a greater degree will it be Haraam for women to attend weddings, Waleemahs, shopping malls, functions, etc.
We all are Muqallideen. It is not permissible for a Muqallid to deduct Shar’i Masaa-il from the Qur’aan and Ahaadith. The limit for the Muqallid is the Rulings of the Fuqaha and the Aimmah-e-Mujtahideen. The Muqallid may not go beyond this limit. There are Ahaadith which say that wudhu have to be taken after eating cooked food. There are Ahaadith which allow women to attend the Masjid. But the Ruling of Allah’s Shariah is that it is not permissible for women to attend the Masjid. Just as it was permissible for women to attend the Musjid during the age of Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam), so too was it permissible for them to attend Walimahs in that age. Later when Musjid attendance was prohibited for them, it was extended to Walimahs to a greater degree. Do not be misled by the baseless arguments of men with shallow knowledge.
According to Allamah Ibn Hajar Haitami Rahimahullah, it is Haraam for women to attend the Masaajid, Eidgah, Shopping malls, etc. He clearly states: “And, no one will hesitate in prohibiting women (from the Musjid, the Eidgah, the shopping malls, and emerging from the home in general) except a ghabi (moron) who is a jaahil, and who lacks ability in understanding the subtleties of the Shariah …………The correct verdict is categorical Tahreem (i.e. haraam for women to come to the Musjid), and this is the Fatwa. And, this in a nutshell is our (Shaafi’ Math-hab).” (Kifaayatul Akhyaar)
In Shaami, it appears as follows:
“The woman should be prohibited from visiting ajaanib (non-relatives), even if they are sick; and she should be prohibited from attending Walimah. If the husband consents, then both are sinners. This prohibition (i.e. of attending functions applies) to even mahram relatives because generally such functions are not without fasaad (acts of sin and transgression). This is the hukm of the Shariah.”
The more we quote, the more clear the prohibition becomes. The prohibition is mentioned in many other Kutub as well. Those who say that women may attend Walimahs, are morons according to Hazrat Ibn Hajar Haitami Rahimahullah!
- Music is Haraam. There are 4 Aayats in the Qur’aan and over 40 Ahaadeeth prohibiting music. According to all four Math-habs, music is Haraam. Nabi Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam said: “Music breeds hypocrisy in the heart just as how water grows plants.” Music is Shaitaan’s voice. Some ‘Muslims’ have ‘geet’ and ‘sangeet’ nights before the wedding day. This is Shaitaaniyyat. Every second is valuable. So why squander the night with Haraam ‘Bollywood’ and ‘Hindi’ songs?
- Violating the laws of Hijaab. When women are invited which is in conflict with Allah’s law, then even more evil follows as a result of violating just one beautiful law of the Shariah. The talk of a separate section or Hijaab area, or Purdah section is absolute rubbish-nonsense intended to fool ignorant and unwary people. Even a separate section does not justify the presence of females. It is Haraam for women to attend the Masaajid even if there are separate facilities. The argument of segregation is a vile lie. People, who truly follow the Qur’aanic Law of Hijaab, are not fooled!
- Intermingling of the sexes. Most Muslims are involved in this shameless sin. The consequence is Zina of different degrees as well as the actual act of Zina. Every single law of Hijaab is broken at these customary weddings and Walimahs. The law which states that women should not leave their homes except for necessities, is violated. The law which states that it is Haraam for women to attend walimahs, is violated. The laws of lowering the gazes, are violated. The law which says that one should not make even Salaam to ghair Mahrams, is violated.
- Tashabbuh Bil Kuffaar – these customary walimahs and weddings are in emulation of the Kuffaar. The Sunnah Walimah is a simple feast. But, majority of the walimahs of today are Haraam shows as if Shaitaan is getting married and all his followers are attending. The stages, the ribbons, the shamelessness, the roses, etc. are all examples of Tashabbuh bil Kuffaar.
- Digital photos and all pictures of animate objects are Haraam. The Angels of Mercy do not attend such gatherings. Such gatherings invite the punishment of Allah Ta’ala.
- Some people even make DVD’s. This is how shameless they have become. Televising and videoing is Haraam. It is simply Haraam animate photography in motion.
- Eating at tables and chairs. This is not Sunnah. It is a Kaafir method. It is in conflict with the Sunnah. It displaces the Sunnah. The element of Tashabbuh is too glaring in the aspect of eating at tables and chairs. It is the way of the Kuffaar!
- Mal’oon venues. The Waleemah is held at a venue which is very accursed. An example of this is the public Halls, restaurants, resorts, etc. It is permissible to turn down the invitation on account of the violations of the Shariah at the halls, restaurants, etc.
- Bid’ah-practices. During the Walimah (wedding feast) the Imaam will make a dua. All present lift their hands and join in the dua. This is a bid’ah. Such a collective dua is not part of the Walimah. It is an innovation, hence not permissible. After eating, everyone should make their own dua silently, without lifting the hands. The usual Masnoon dua which is recited after eating should be recited. Likewise, Moulood, Salaami, so-called Khatams, etc. are Bid’ah!
- Haraam customs. There are too many customs associated with the marriages of today which have been inherited from the Kuffaar like the Hindus, Christians, etc. These customs should be shunned!
Answering the Walimah invitation is permissible as long as there are no accompanying haraam acts. If Hijaab (Purdah) is abandoned or any other un-Islamic activity as mentioned above takes place, it will be haraam then to attend such a feast. Such a feast will be ‘the most evil food’. If the Walimah is held in a public hall where females attend, it will not be permissible to participate even if separate arrangements have been made for the women.
Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: “He who increases the number of a crowd is of them. He who is pleased with an act of the people is a partner in its commission.”
IT IS HARAAM TO ATTEND HARAAM SO-CALLED WALEEMAHS, HARAAM WEDDINGS AND ANY HARAAM FUNCTION WHICH HAS EVEN ONE OF THE ABOVE-MENTIONED HARAAM ACTS. REJECT THE ACCURSED INVITATION OF SUCH HARAAM GATHERINGS WHICH INVITE ALLAH’S PUNISHMENT. OUR SUCCESS LIES IN DEEN, TAQWA AND THE SUNNAH – NOT IN HARAAM FUNCTIONS WHICH CREATE DISUNITY.
THE ULAMA SHOULD CONDUCT THEMSELVES WITH SOME RESPONSIBILITY. ONE FINDS MANY CORRUPT SO-CALLED MOLVIS AND SHEIKHS AT SUCH HARAAM GATHERINGS. INDEED, THEY ARE THE ULAMA-E-SOO WHOM MAJORITY OF THE MUSLIM PUBLIC IMPUDENTLY FOLLOW!
KINDLY CLICK TO DOWNLOAD PAMPHLET: THE SUNNAH WALEEMAH